Call for Board Of Directors
We are presently seeking individuals who are passionate about the arts and community building to join our Board of Directors at Cedar Ridge Studio Gallery (CRSG).
CRSG is an over 40 year old membership based organization that is run entirely by volunteers. We are currently in a transitional stage in modernizing and revitalizing the organization while respecting the beloved traditions for our long-time members and volunteers. We are seeking individuals who are inspired and energized by fresh new vision, strategy, and a challenge.
The Board of Directors’ role is to oversee policy, finance, operations, governance, and strategic planning. An ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, the ability to plan strategically and a strong ability to execute them. This person will have advanced organizational management skills which may include financial literacy, Human Resources experience, a legal background, and/or leadership skills in administration in the non-profit sector. Previous board experience or management experience is preferred.
We are an equal opportunity board and encourage applications from equity-seeking groups.
About Cedar Ridge Studio Gallery
We are a volunteer-run registered charitable organization for the arts founded in 1978. Working in partnership with the City of Toronto’s Cedar Ridge Creative Centre in Scarborough, Ontario, we support emerging artists and our community by hosting exhibitions and arts events, as well as supporting our artist-members through open pottery studios and professional development workshops.
We are a well-established, friendly collective of volunteer members that gives careful consideration to the new artists we support and showcase. We believe art is an essential part of a healthy community and is for everyone and all generations. Art is as diverse as each artist who creates it and speaks its own language to each who views it. Although we take our knowledge and service seriously, we feel the art experience (whether viewing or making) should be enjoyable, approachable and accessible to all.
To nurture emerging artists and welcome the local community to experience art, build relationships and share experience through the space we create together.
Cedar Ridge Studio Gallery (CRSG) mobilizes volunteers to provide support and opportunities for artists in Scarborough, catalyzing artists to build their creative and professional capacities. CRSG provides exhibition support, professional development and capacity-building for artists, and conducts networking and outreach opportunities within the local community.
Prospective Board members should have some (or several) of the following general qualifications:
- Capacity to contribute time, energy, and resources to Cedar Ridge Studio Gallery and Board
- Leadership in the non-profit sector
- A passion for contemporary art and culture
- Strategic thinking
- Fundraising abilities and/or connections to sources of private or public support
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills
- Strong community ties
We seek Board members with the following specific experience:
- Human Resources
- Equity and Diversity
- Strategic Planning
- Government Relations
- Communications and/or Public Relations
- Community Building
- Event Planning and Management
- Serve a 2-year term, renewable
- Attend up to 5 meetings per year
- Adhere to the CRSG By Laws
- Work to develop and implement best practices/policies where needed
- Participate in fundraising and arranging sponsorships
- Activation of personal and professional networks
- Facilitate community and local partnerships
- Oversee the financial health of the organization – month-to-month and long-term
- Ability to mentor and support others, including staff and fellow Board members
- Develop and steward Board and governance policies and structures
- Attend and support CRSG events & programs such as:
- Twice yearly membership exhibition
- Sunday Open Studio for potters
- Participation with the Gallery Committee in partnership with the City of Toronto which includes supporting and featuring 2 Contemporary Art Exhibits and other solo Art Shows per year
- Guild Alive with Culture Festival
- Ad-hoc membership events, workshops, and activities where permitted
- Represent CRSGs vision and mandate locally and in communities across the GTA
Board membership is voluntary. Board members may not receive financial compensation or other benefit. CRSG welcomes applicants of any age or background and encourages applications from energetic and committed individuals with no prior Board experience.
Please fill out the form and submit your Statement of Interest and CV here.